8.31.2010

Hipster Shrugged

If you've read Ayn Rand...or seen any number of press clippings about people of one party or the other "Going Galt" (eye roll, please)...then you're familiar with Atlas Shrugged.

 If not, stop right now and read it. I'll see you in a month or so.

Ok, you don't have to read it and - full confession here, I *GASP* skimmed and even skipped parts of the Galt monologue. (Note to Rand, when Kerouac signs up for his "how to edit" class, please join him.)

But I loved it. I immediately connected with Dagny Taggart. Maybe it was living in a house full of incompetent men who thought they made the world turn. Maybe it was being surrounded by the same in college. Maybe it was her (impeccable) style or complete disregard for the status quo. Rand once described Dagny as "myself in a bad mood" and I felt that's accurate of me, too. Get me wound up and I'm not afraid to stomp all over toes and then check out because I'm infuriated at your complete incompetence.

Anyway...so then there's the Hipster movement. You know those guys. You don't? You've missed the "Hipster" trend?

Enlightenment can be found at google, my friend.

At any rate...the two have combined to produce an amazing twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23HipsterShrugged

with some of the best here:

http://www.juliansanchez.com/2010/08/27/hipster-shrugged/

and my favorite:

@normative Who is John Galt? Oh, you probably haven’t heard of him, he’s really obscure. #HipsterShrugged

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails